Wednesday, September 8, 2010

India: In Numbers and Lists

Me and my roommate, Alex.  At a sweet shop for a wild Thursday night.
Here are some "statistics"...if you will... of my experiences in India since I arrived, which was exactly one month and one day ago! By the way, to celebrate the one month anniversary, I shaved my legs for the first time.  Here we go:

Most people seen riding one motorcycle: 6
Hard-boiled eggs I’ve eaten since I’ve been here: 24
Number of times I have slept past 8 am: 1
Number of times I’ve worn make-up: 2
Number of times I’ve tried meat: 2 
Hours of TV I’ve watched: 0
Books read for pleasure: 1 (it was long!)
Number of children I’ve seriously considered taking home: 2

A few Indian traditions that I’ve grown to love:
-Not wearing shoes in the classroom…Not sure how well my Iowa professors will accept this practice should I adapt it
-TEA TIME (which I have in 10 minutes, best part of the school day)
-Eating with my hands…I do it in America anyway, but here, no one gives me the side eye
-Wearing clothes as comfortable as pajamas 24/7.  Wearing the same clothes literally as pajamas, but they are pretty.  Katie D understands.
-Waving, hugging, giggling, and saying hello to all the other female students EVERY time you see one another
-Going to bed at 9 pm.  Ok, Indians don’t really do this, just me cause I’m so damn sleepy!


1 comment:

  1. I understand. I wear gym shorts and a tshirt (possibly with the collar cut out?) basically every day now. And then I change into something even more comfortable when I get home, because come on, I can only be uncomfortable like that for so long before going insane.

    ReplyDelete