Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Favorite Place in India: THE BUS

This is going to have to be a quick post because it's 7:15 and I have to be at breakfast at 7:30.  By the way, my sleeping schedule has completely reversed here!  I wake up on my own around 6 in the morning, and by 9 o' clock every night I can barely keep my eyes open.  I kind of like it.  It feels more natural that way since it gets dark here around 7.  And I also feel very conscious of how many resources I'm using, like electricity.  So going to bed early suits me fine.  (Impressed? ahem.... Dad.)

Anyway, my group and I took the bus into Mysore yesterday, about a 20 min ride, and I felt like it was the first time I could sit down, relax, and watch people, instead of having them watch me.  And believe me, there are plenty to watch.  The buses are really nice too!  They play this really great Indian pop music too.  I did notice that they overcharged us, almost double what they were charging Indians.  But still, the bus cost less than 50 cents to take.  Going into downtown Mysore was great, but absolutely exhausting and overwhelming.  I think it's going to take practice to get used to so many people and so many stares.  I feel like I have to be so hyperaware of myself and my surroundings.  It's tiring....

Today, I'm going to meet the last two members of my group, and we'll all have an orientation about our classes and met our professors.  I'm excited!  It should be a good, full day.  I really like my (tiny) campus so far, but I feel really comfortable here.  And Dad- I told the director you are coming to visit and he's really excited!  He wants you to come to my classes with me! 

I know this is a quick update on my life, I will continue to post more, and hopefully will have pictures or video to share soon. 

Love,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment