Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Perspectives

Possibly the most interesting aspect of my classes, thus far, is learning about issues that I’ve previously learned about in America, like environmentalism, women’s issues, social structures, religion, etc., but from the Indian perspective. In terms of environmentalism, a big difference that I’ve noticed is that everyone here, no matter what job they have, is an environmentalist. They all talk about it, and everyone makes it an issue that affects them, which I think is pretty amazing. I think in America, being environmentally conscious creates divides in society. In America being environmentally conscious is not a habit one adopts, but instead it seems like it’s a lifestyle one adopts, bringing along other stereotypes.

Anyway, another huge difference that has become apparent is that in America, it seems social structures are largely based on race, class, and gender. These three things come up constantly in my art history and women’s studies classes. I’m sure Kate Krohn has no idea what I’m talking about. But what is fascinating here, is that in academia, they base their social structures on caste, class, and gender. I’m still working out the differences between caste and class. I know there are some but I do not know enough to articulate them. Like race in America, social discrimination based on caste is illegal here, but it still largely exists. One of my professors, Dr. S.G. Vombatkere wrote an article about Hinduism and included a passage that I found interesting:

I am brahmin because I use my knowledge and intelligence to earn a living. I am also kshatriya because I served long years in the army to earn a living. I have saved some money and invest it so that it will multiply, and that makes me vaisya too. I personally clean my house toilets used by visitors who may be from any “caste”. I, not a servant, carry household garbage to the dustbin; I dig and plant in the garden; do “menial” work around the house; perform odd jobs for friends, and that makes me sudra also. I am content if my fellow citizens recognize me as a Hindu without ascribing caste, since I am a mix of all castes. Hence, I do not believe in “caste”, and yet I am a Hindu.

Hinduism and caste relate because the system was created by Hindus. This system of Hinduism relating to caste reminds me so much of the issues in America and how people have come to relate the upper to middle-class with conservatism and sometimes Christianity. And it’s still surprising to me internally when my professors mention minority groups in India and mention Christians. It’s definitely not something I’m used to hearing.

Today, in my Science and Technology class, Dr. Vombatkere told us a hypothetical story about a man who fished for leisure and brought the few fish he caught home for his family. Eventually, another man came along and told him how he could catch more, sell them, hire people, and create a business from it. The fisherman asked why he should create a business and make money, and the other man replied that he should so that he could have leisure time. Anyway, the point my professor was making was that the differences between the ultra rich and the ultra poor are in fact very small. Physically, the ultra rich have more material goods, but mentally, more dissatisfaction.

What I found so amazing about this story, was that a man who is intending to teach us about Indian science, technology, and development told it to us. His views on social structures, economics, how to truly measure a person or a nation’s wealth, and what true development is, are absolutely fascinating. I’m beginning to see the Western values that have been ingrained in me that I didn’t even know about. With each new idea he brings up and plants into my head, it’s like he’s drawing out a small impurity that plagued my mind. He’s slowly unscrewing each tiny bolt that might actually open a door.

And this is only week 2!

I hope you’re all enjoying my blog!!!!

Love,
Julia

1 comment:

  1. What a different perspective you're getting-- I'm not surprised. You are particularly fortunate to be in a totally new and different environment and get insights shared by the people who have lived in that environment their whole lives.

    ReplyDelete