Monday, October 18, 2010

Highlights from our tour of North Karnataka

My group and I got back Friday morning from an 8 day excursion through the state of Karnataka.  We visited Badami which has Buddhist and Jain cave temples (and lots of monkeys), Bijapur which is known for its Muslim architecture, and Hampi which is an ancient city.  Here are some photo highlights!

Here I am showing off my mad skillz at the Badami caves.  I forget who the statue is of sowwy!

In Bijapur at Gol Gumbaz which means "round dome".........heh.
On top of Gol Gumbaz at around 7 am.

Makin' friends in Hampi!


After a sunrise hike to the top of a rock hill to visit a shrine or pretend to contemplate life if you're Sara.



Makin' MORE friends in Hampi!

Sunrise hike deux to an ancient natural land bridge in Badami.

Justin and Matt (I'll let you attempt to pick them out) swimming in the sacred pool at Aihole, pronounced a-hole.  Fine, it's actually ai-ho-lay.  The pool is naturally fed through springs which flow through up through the sandy bottom!
Sara being a superstar on top of a temple in Aihole. 


No comments:

Post a Comment